I am excited to be part of the launch of the Africa Study Bible. Designed to bring study resources in a culturally relevant form to millions of people, this new Bible will speak truth to people just where they are in a language they can understand.
Hundreds of millions of Africans know and love Christ. However, most discipleship and biblical resources come from a Western perspective — a culture far removed from their own. Africa’s wonderful and rich influence on the early church from the Ethiopian eunuch through Augustine is being rekindled.
The Africa Study Bible bridges the gap of cultural understanding and Scriptural relevance by revealing the truth and beauty of God’s Word through African eyes.
With the launch of this study Bible, Africans will have a resource that speaks directly to their heart, relating the Bible to their everyday life.
Developed by Africans, the notes of the Africa Study Bible are “. . . bubbling up from underneath. The biblical truth is percolating through from the bottom to create a rich and textured tapestry that Africans can claim as their own” (Dr. John Jusu, Supervising Editor). Over 2,200 features speak truth with a uniquely African perspective. Written by more than 300 contributors from over 50 countries in four major languages, the Africa Study Bible may be the most ethnically diverse, one volume biblical resource to date.
While our goal is to eventually publish the Africa Study Bible (ASB) in all of Africa’s major languages, it will initially be published in English using the New Living Translation followed by French and Portuguese translations in the years to come. By printing in these three languages, the ASB will have its greatest impact, reaching up to 70% of literate African Christians.
We expect to launch this year in Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, and South Africa. We have formed local African-led launch committees in each of these countries and are partnering with them to orchestrate all the details. We are all very excited and anxiously awaiting the arrival of the ASB. We continue to be encouraged by the anticipation of our African partners and you will be too as we share updates with you along the way.
We are so close to completing this project but need your help to launch the ASB in Africa! With your support, this life-transforming study Bible can be available to the millions of Christians who deeply desire to fully understand and apply God’s Word through the rich tapestry of their African culture and heritage.
Here’s what will be included:
- Application Notes inspire readers to reflect on issues and apply truth to everyday life.
- Proverbs and Stories enlighten readers through the parallels of Scripture and cultural wisdom found in wise sayings and fables.
- Learn Notes teach the foundations, values, and doctrine of the Christian faith.
- Touch Points show where the culture of the Bible meets African cultures and how Africans shaped Christian belief.
- Book Introductions explain the history of each book and connect themes to issues close to African hearts.
- Articles give practical advice on how to live out the Christian life focusing on critical concerns facing the African Church and its people.
- Topical Index and Concordance lists the biblical texts and ASB features by topic and defines difficult to understand words connecting concepts from Genesis to Revelation.
- One-year Bible Reading Plan guides readers through an overview of the whole story of the Bible.
- Maps, Graphical Timelines, and Other Features spread throughout the Bible help provide insight and understanding.
How you can help:
Join Oasis International in their Kickstarter Campaign. Any contribution, no matter how small, will help. Thanks!
WHO IS OASIS?
Working over 20 years for Africa, Oasis International is a ministry devoted to fostering a robust and sustainable pan-African publishing industry.
We engage Africa’s most influential, most relevant, and best communicators for the sake of the Gospel.
We cultivate local and global partnerships in order to publish and distribute high-quality books and Bibles.
We contextualize content that meets the specific needs of Africa, has the power to transform individuals and societies, and gives the African Church a global voice.
Oasis is: Satisfying Africa’s Thirst for God’s Word. The Africa Study Bible is the epitome of this goal and mission. We pray it will enable us to continue coming alongside the African church to build deeper discipleship. To learn more about us, check out our bio!